The international T1 mapping multicentre consortium was established in 2012 with aim to accumulate a large data collective in a number of disease contexts using a unified T1 mapping sequence based on modified Look-Locker Imaging (MOLLI) and postprocessing approach (ConSept). The consortium originally consisted of CMR centres using 1.5 and 3T Philips scanners that adopted standardised T1-mapping MOLLI sequence, which was developed and validated by Drs Nagel and Puntmann. Since 2016, this sequence is also available on Siemens 1.5T and 3.0T scanners, thus, providing the first T1 mapping sequence, which is transferable cross-vendor in terms of normal values and clinical experience. The respective sequences, sequence parameters, normal values and clinical evidence have been published in a number of publications (below) and are freely downloadable from this website.
Important information for clinical users:
there are several variants of MOLLI sequences available. However, these sequences are not identical, because they have very different parameters. Consequently, they have different normal values and have different sensitivity/specificity for disease detection.
Please note that we do not recommend changing any parameters in our sequence as it would invalidate any relation with the published evidence, including the normal values and clinical experience. This can be only transferable using this sequence unchanged.
Biomarker qualification pathway of T1 mapping in characterisation of diffuse myocardial disease:
Why T1 mapping
Link to the video: Puntmann VO: T1 mapping is ready for prime time - PRO (EuroCMR 2016)
Problems downloading? Contact us.
1. Goethe CVI, Frankfurt, Germany
2. Kerckhoff Klinik, Bad Nauheim, Germany.
3. University Hospital La Paz, Madrid, Spain
4. Guys and St Thomas' NHS Trust, London UK
5. St Vincent University Hospital, Sydney, Australia
6. German Heart Institute Berlin, Berlin, Germany
We welcome anyone with interest to help acquire new knowledge and with commitment to consistently deliver good quality data. Participating in this study is exciting: we provide support with learning about the methods and how to do the scanning/postprocessing. You will be taking part in the many clinical discoveries and publications. Participation is subject to standard research and authorship agreements and the available site set-up, including provision of local ethic committee approvals, compliance with principles of good clinical practice in clinical research. All new sites will undergo initiation with travelling phantom and healthy volunteer studies. No previous experience in T1 mapping is necessary.
1. Child N, Suna G, Dabir D, Yap ML, Rogers T, Kathirgamanathan M, Arroyo-Ucar E, Hinojar R, Mahmoud I, Young C, Wendler O, Mayr M, Sandhu B, Morton G, Muhly-Reinholz M, Dimmeler S, Nagel E, Puntmann VO. Comparison of MOLLI, shMOLLLI, and SASHA in discrimination between health and disease and relationship with histologically derived collagen volume fraction. Eur Heart J Cardiovasc Imaging. 2017 Dec 11.
2. Puntmann VO, Arroyo Ucar E, Hinojar Baydes R, Ngah NB, Kuo YS, Dabir D, Macmillan A, Cummins C, Higgins DM, Gaddum N, Chowienczyk P, Plein S, Carr-White G, Nagel E. Aortic stiffness and interstitial myocardial fibrosis by native T1 are independently associated with left ventricular remodeling in patients with dilated cardiomyopathy. Hypertension. 2014 Oct;64(4):762-8.
3. Rogers T, Dabir D, Mahmoud I, Voigt T, Schaeffter T, Nagel E, Puntmann VO. Standardization of T1 measurements with MOLLI in differentiation between health and disease--the ConSept study. J Cardiovasc Magn Reson. 2013 Sep 11;15:78.
4. Dabir D, Child N, Kalra A, Rogers T, Gebker R, Jabbour A, Plein S, Yu CY, Otton J, Kidambi A, McDiarmid A, Broadbent D, Higgins DM, Schnackenburg B, Foote L, Cummins C, Nagel E, Puntmann VO. Reference values for healthy human myocardium using a T1 mapping methodology: results from the International T1 Multicenter cardiovascular magnetic resonance study. J Cardiovasc Magn Reson. 2014 Oct 21;16:69.
Proof of concept studies:
5. Puntmann VO, Voigt T, Chen Z, Mayr M, Karim R, Rhode K, Pastor A, Carr-White G, Razavi R, Schaeffter T, Nagel E. Native T1 mapping in differentiation of normal myocardium from diffuse disease in hypertrophic and dilated cardiomyopathy. JACC Cardiovasc Imaging. 2013 Apr;6(4):475-84.
6. Puntmann VO, D'Cruz D, Smith Z, Pastor A, Choong P, Voigt T, Carr-White G, Sangle S, Schaeffter T, Nagel E. Native myocardial T1 mapping by cardiovascular magnetic resonance imaging in subclinical cardiomyopathy in patients with systemic lupus erythematosus. Circ Cardiovasc Imaging. 2013 Mar 1;6(2):295-301.
7. Hinojar R, Foote L, Arroyo Ucar E, Jackson T, Jabbour A, Yu CY, McCrohon J, Higgins DM, Carr-White G, Mayr M, Nagel E, Puntmann VO. Native T1 in discrimination of acute and convalescent stages in patients with clinical diagnosis of myocarditis: a proposed diagnostic algorithm using CMR. JACC Cardiovasc Imaging. 2015 Jan;8(1):37-46.
8. Hinojar R, Varma N, Child N, Goodman B, Jabbour A, Yu CY, Gebker R, Doltra A, Kelle S, Khan S, Rogers T, Arroyo Ucar E, Cummins C, Carr-White G, Nagel E, Puntmann VO. T1 Mapping in Discrimination of Hypertrophic Phenotypes: Hypertensive Heart Disease and Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy: Findings From the International T1 Multicenter Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance Study. Circ Cardiovasc Imaging. 2015 Dec;8(12).
9. Isted A, Grigoratos C, Bratis K, Carr-White G, Nagel E, Puntmann VO. Native T1 in deciphering the reversible myocardial inflammation in cardiac sarcoidosis with anti-inflammatory treatment. Int J Cardiol. 2016 Jan 15;203:459-62.
10.Hinojar R, Varma N, Child N, Goodman B, Jabbour A, Yu CY, Gebker R, Doltra A, Kelle S, Khan S, Rogers T, Arroyo Ucar E, Cummins C, Carr-White G, Nagel E, Puntmann VO. T1 Mapping in Discrimination of Hypertrophic Phenotypes: Hypertensive Heart Disease and Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy: Findings From the International T1 Multicenter Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance Study. Circ Cardiovasc Imaging. 2015 Dec;8(12).
11. Hinojar R, Foote L, Sangle S, Marber M, Mayr M, Carr-White G, D'Cruz D, Nagel E, Puntmann VO. Native T1 and T2 mapping by CMR in lupus myocarditis: Disease recognition and response to treatment. Int J Cardiol. 2016 Nov 1;222:717-26
12. Puntmann VO, Isted A, Hinojar R, Foote L, Carr-White G, Nagel E. T1 and T2 Mapping in Recognition of Early Cardiac Involvement in Systemic Sarcoidosis. Radiology. 2017 Apr 27:162732.
13. Winau L, Hinojar Baydes R, Braner A, Drott U, Burkhardt H, Sangle S, D'Cruz DP, Carr-White G, Marber M, Schnoes K, Arendt C, Klingel K, Vogl TJ, Zeiher AM, Nagel E, Puntmann VO. High-sensitive troponin is associated with subclinical imaging biosignature of inflammatory cardiovascular involvement in systemic lupus erythematosus. Ann Rheum Dis. 2018 Aug 4.
14. Puntmann VO, Carr-White G, Jabbour A, Yu CY, Gebker R; Kelle S, Hinojar R, Doltra A, Varma N ,Child N; Rogers T; Arroyo Ucar E, Goodman B, Suna G; Khan S; Dabir D, Herrmann E, Zeiher AM, Nagel E. T1-mapping and outcome in nonischaemic cardiomyopathy: all-cause mortality and heart failure. J Am Coll Cardiol Img. 2016;9(1):40-50.
15. Puntmann VO, Carr-White G, Jabbour A, Yu CY, Gebker R, Kelle S, Rolf A, Zitzmann S, Peker E, D'Angelo T, Pathan F, Elen, Valbuena S, Hinojar R, Arendt C, Narula J, Herrmann E, Zeiher AM, Nagel E; International T1 Multicentre CMR Outcome Study. Native T1 and ECV of Noninfarcted Myocardium and Outcome in Patients With Coronary Artery Disease. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2018 Feb 20;71(7):766-778.
16. Puntmann VO, Peker E, Chandrashekhar Y, Nagel E. T1 Mapping in Characterizing Myocardial Disease: A Comprehensive Review. Circ Res. 2016 Jul 8;119(2):277-99
17. Gerster M, Peker E, Nagel E, Puntmann VO. Deciphering cardiac involvement in systemic inflammatory diseases: noninvasive tissue characterisation using cardiac magnetic resonance is key to improved patients' care. Expert Rev Cardiovasc Ther. 2016 Nov;14(11):1283-1295.
18. Puntmann VO, Zeiher AM, Nagel E. T1 and T2 mapping in myocarditis: seeing beyond the horizon of Lake Louise criteria and histopathology. Expert Rev Cardiovasc Ther. 2018 May;16(5):319-330.
19. Winau L, E Nagel E, Herrmann E, Puntmann VO. Towards the Clinical Management of Cardiac Involvement in Systemic Inflammatory Conditions—a Central Role for CMR. Current Cardiovascular Imaging Reports 2018;11: 11